Pages

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Dear Lola,

Like most children, you and your storybooks have an inseparable relationship.


 Needless to say, over the last two and half years of your existence, we have read to you every single day & always encouraged your love of reading. Just watching you juggle half a dozen books under your arm, or snuggle on the couch to read to yourself, warms our hearts. It really does.

But...

Can reading become out of control? Okay, okay, obviously not. Reading is good right? An essential part of life? Possibly the best way to spend your time? Yes.

But....

Some days I get to the end of the day and realise this - 
Before I have even half opened my eyes in the morning I am reading to you.  
I read the same book, no exaggeration thirty times in one day.
Four books are read before midday nap time.
And two hours is spent reading a pile of books you have plonked into my lap just after lunch. 
And then there's still the afternoon to come, and of course four more stories before bed. 
Oh, and your most favourite game of late is playing libraries. Where you're the librarian, I borrow books from you, you read each one of them, before swiping them & popping them in my library bag. Repeat, repeat, repeat. 
Then there's the game where you hide a dozen or more books, I sniff them out (yes literally sniff them out) and then we read each one before hiding them again.
By the end of the day, I've sorta, kinda, definitely had enough reading! Just the thought of reading 'A Holiday to Sandy Beach' or 'Possum Magic' one more time can make me cringe. But of course I never say no... how can I, when you ask so nicely with those pleading eyes.

At one stage last week, I even offered you the chance to watch 'PlaySchool' over reading, which you politely refused. Okay lets read "Possum Magic" again. Or a chapter book with no pictures at all. I thought I had a few more years before I'd be reading those!

Perhaps this insane level of reading will change with time, and we won't have to lug a backpack crammed with books around to most places we go... and I won't have to sniff books out. Although, this would probably make me sad. I must also admit that seeming you have memorised most of your favourites yourself, solitary reading is on the rise. And you are just as happy to flip through a story & recite it yourself, or sing a song as you turn the pages, or just get lost in the pictures. It really is a lovely sight.

Taking advantage of a good book sale & wanting some fresh favourites, I ordered these titles. They have been arriving all week and I highly recommend each and every one of them.

*A few classics for you to read to baby. 














 *And a few for you (and baby in good time)


 this is a favourite by far, so simple, so brilliant, and you smile & giggle the whole way through.

the title is just as good as the story

this one is hilarious & the illustrations are insanely cute.



a 60's classic


but it's this one that makes me cry, and may just be the sweetest book I have ever read.


 the illustrations are just perfect.



Okay, okay, seems as though I love these & reading (nearly) just as much as you do.... and I really do hope that your passion for books continues on forever & always.  
And I do believe it was me who said this morning, "Do you want to read "A Sick Day for Amos McGee"  again with me Lola?" 
Your love of books sure is infectious! And Lola, despite describing some days as reading overkill, I really, truly do adore reading to you. The end.


Your mama




2 comments:

  1. I think it's beautiful seeing little ones who love to read. My eldest reads chapter books to himself now and I miss that time spent reading together! Now Miss 5 isn't far behind him and it makes me a little sad! But I do love passing on my old books and buying them ones I read as a child and seeing them enjoy them too :). Love your book choices, funnily enough we have ''I Want My Hat Back'' away for Carys' birthday :). Another one my kids love is ''The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Search of Whodunit''. Very funny storyline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is beautiful and reading together can make any worries of the day disappear. I get lost in the stories just as much as Lola does! Can't beleive how fast your three are growing! Stop, time, stop! Will have to track down the little mole book.. thanks for the tip! x

    ReplyDelete